Hey everyone, it’s John, welcome to our recipe site. Today, we’re going to prepare a distinctive dish, sweet and sour chicken. One of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I’m gonna make it a little bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of the most favored of recent trending foods in the world. It is simple, it’s fast, it tastes yummy. It is appreciated by millions every day. They are nice and they look fantastic. Sweet and Sour Chicken is something which I have loved my whole life.
To get started with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can cook sweet and sour chicken using 18 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Sweet and Sour Chicken:
- Make ready 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut to about 1" pieces
- Get 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Take 2 large eggs - beaten
- Make ready 2 tbs vegetable oil
- Make ready 1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbit in juice - drained, juices reserved
- Prepare 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Prepare 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Make ready 1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
- Take 1/4 cup all natural ketchup
- Prepare 2 tbs low sodium soy sauce
- Get 2 tbs cornstarch
- Prepare 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Take to taste salt and pepper
- Make ready ~Optional veggies
- Prepare 1 medium yellow onion - chopped to 1/2" pieces
- Make ready 1 medium green bell pepper - chopped to 1/2" pieces
- Take 1 medium red bell pepper - chopped to 1/2" pieces
- Make ready 2 green onions/scallions sliced on the bias for garnish
Instructions to make Sweet and Sour Chicken:
- Begin heating a large skillet over medium heat. Place 1/2 cup cornstarch in a large bowl. Beat eggs in a separate large bowl. Place bowls side by side close to stove.
- When skillet is hot add oil. Season all the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Place all in cornstarch and toss to coat. Transfer pieces to egg, shaking off excess cornstarch, and toss to coat again (I think using your hands works best for this step, clean of course).
- Arrange half of the pieces in skillet (to prevent crowding and sticking together). Cook until golden brown on all sides and cooked through. About 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- If adding veggies place in skillet after chicken is removed. Cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring often. (My husband prefers without, so I leave out the peppers, but I won't budge on the onion. Lol.)
- While chicken or veggies cook, wisk together reserved pineapple juice, chicken broth, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, and 2 tbs cornstarch (and red pepper flakes if using).
- Add sauce to skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, stirring often. Add chicken and pineapple tidbits to sauce. Stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until warmed through.
- Serve over rice, garnish with green onion/scallions if desired. Enjoy!
So that’s going to wrap it up with this exceptional food sweet and sour chicken recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am confident that you can make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page in your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!